RISE is an acronym for Removing Ignorance for Social Empowerment. The Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation working for the empowerment of underserved communities by organising their access to the internet – the quintessential resource of knowledge and information.
Making a holistic impact in the lives of underserved communities and transforming those into ‘knowledge societies’ that are empowered to participate and succeed in the digital society by way of ensuring unfettered access to resources of information and knowledge.
Organising access of the underserved communities to the resources of relevant knowledge and information, primarily the worldwide web, and building their capacities to both be inspired and empowered to use the internet for taking informed decisions about important aspects of their lives and enable them to compete and succeed in the digital society.
- Advocacy for equitable access for each citizen to internet connectivity to equalise the opportunities for information and knowledge.
- To sensitize the governments as also the corporates towards their social responsibility for spreading digital literacy through schools, colleges and adult digital literacy programs.
- Increasing employment prospects of underserved communities by collaborating with agencies for training them in new vocations and providing them skills and tools to earn a decent livelihood by setting up new enterprises.
- Improving the decision-making abilities of the underserved communities relating to healthcare, nutrition, occupation, family, children – their education and career etc.
- Accelerating the underserved communities’ pace of development & growth to acceptable levels of Human Development Index.
RISE Foundation aims to create a model for changing underserved communities into Knowledge Societies – Societies where people are equipped with knowledge required for taking informed decisions about important aspects of their lives viz. education, occupation, health, hygiene, nutrition, environment, natural resources management and are empowered to live an adequate life.
RISE envisages holistic development in the region where it works. The interventions are meant to bridge the knowledge divide that currently exists due to extremely inadequate access to the internet directly impacting the quality of people’s lives.
The organisation’s focus is to remove people’s ignorance by equipping them with the skills and tools required to access internet so that they are connected to the sea of knowledge that is available on the World Wide Web and enable them to have a level playing field to compete in the areas of their choice.
RISE Foundation, through its interventions and participation of the local community, aims to see such communities gradually evolve into knowledge societies.